Monday, April 27, 2009

When you are twelve

The phone call from school:

"Mo-ooo-oo-m," (high pitched, sobbing squeak), "Can you come get me-ee-eee?"

The situation in a nutshell:

Kate left the classroom to console her friend who had been maliciously teased.  ( She asked permission to leave from the student teacher.)

When she returned, the substitute teacher delivered sharp words to my girl for disrupting the class. 

The motherly advice:

"Sometimes, others  make bad decisions that affect you.  But part of this life experience is to learn to not let someone else's poor choices upset you.  Just let it roll off your back."

I remember my dad telling me the same thing twenty-something years ago, but his also included a duck and water analogy.

Then:

We went to lunch, which included delicious crepes for dessert.  We shopped, which included some new knees socks for the girl who was trying to do the right thing.

Sept_99_10

                                                {Kate & Me 1999}

5 comments:

jamie hixon said...

Oh, this is so sweet.

michelle rasor said...

What a good girl & what amazing advice. Someone needed to take the sweet girl that got teased out, too. I love being able to be there for my kids.

Rachel said...

I love your bangs.

Joanna said...

very sweet story and picture of you & Katie!

Laurel said...

Oh, poor Kate. The last time Logan had a substitute, she had to pull a card (discipline) for a reason she didn't understand. It was her first and only of the year. She was so upset and in tears. We had the same kind of conversation. Tough lessons to learn. My dad took me out for icecream when I felt rotten; crepes are even better!