Sunday, January 27, 2008

Pretty vs. Practical?

A few months ago I bought some pretty hand towels for my guest bathroom and my bathroom as well. I am sure you all know what I am talking about...the kind with the strip of decorative fabric and the cute beaded tassel trim on the edge. I knew they were not the most practical towel...but I will admit it....sometimes I am up for impracticality if it looks good--like a really fabulous looking, but uncomfortable shoe.

My first clue that this idea may have not been the best idea is that Brian would hang the towel up either backward or so that the back, unbeaded part was hanging around to the front of the towel.

Next clue: The downstairs towel looked a little unused...so I bought a few additional towels to lay out on the sink so people would have somewhere to dry their hands. Pretty soon, I notice an ugly, old faded pink hand towel hanging up in my bathroom in place of the pretty one. This is getting serious.

Well, the final straw happened yesterday...doing the laundry. As I was pulling out a load of clean, wet laundry I noticed a few little gold strings on the clothing. Pretty soon I realized it was more than a few strings--it was an explosion of strings on everything! I quickly found the culprit--a detasseled hand towel. To say the least, I was not happy about picking little strings off of practically each item in the wash.

So, moral of the story is: Sometimes beauty is pain and sometimes beauty is just a pain in the neck.

No comments: