Thursday, January 31, 2008

Time Marches On

Days often move by too quickly to notice little changes or mini-milestones in my childrens lives. I actually recall and recorded in my journal the first time my baby Katie reached out for me for comfort as well as the time she figured out how to put something in my hand and let go of the object. Now, it seems that most of the time I take notice of how much my children have grown when we measure their height on the wall in the garage on New Year's Day or when I kneel beside their sleeping bodies the night of their birthdays and stroke their sweet faces. On Monday, however, something inside propelled me to take notice of some of the little ways they are growing up right before my eyes. I thought I'd share some of those tiptoes of time here.

  • Kate's hands are now bigger than mine.
  • Keaton, my kindergartener, read a bedtime story to me which included the words "plight" and "delayed".
  • Shelby was determined to get a weekly agenda made up and printed out for her classroom under the stairs to ensure she was ready for "teaching" this week.
  • Weston had a conversation with me that included the phrase "I have bad news and good news", proceeded to tell me what the news was and he was exactly right on. (The drink is gross and I like you, respectively)
  • Kate washed and blew dry her own hair and it looked good.
  • I registered Weston for kindergarten August 2008.
  • Kate picked up something on the floor, put it away in the cupboard and closed the door...all WITHOUT being asked.

I know these are just little things but I wanted to slow down the march for just a few moments to take it all in.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Great write-up. I need to remember to do this.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I have posted some new pictures on mine, but I'm not so good at the journaling part. Thanks for sharing. We love and miss you guys.

Deb

Unknown said...

This is really impressive Sar! The layout looks really nice too. The content is also great. It justs exudes your personality.

Joanna said...

Time sure does march on - how long has it been since I've seen your sweet face? You children are all so grown up! I can't believe it! I LOVE the family pic at the bottom - so cute! All of you!