Friday, May 9, 2008

Mom's are great

When I was five Mother's day was really pretty simple - a box of Cummings chocolates, and... truth be told, Dad, Jerry (my brother), and I would eat the majority of them - so it was really a gift to us.  As I got a little older there were some other things added to the chocolates, primarily, hand prints in plaster painted gold.

I was 18 when I first truly understood the meaning behind Mother's Day.  I was living in Scotland on my mission.  It is a difficult feeling to describe of wanting to hug your Mom, tell her you love her, and you're 2,000 miles away from her.  Needless to say, I honored my Mom that day.  My Mom has always been the definition of selflessness and generosity.  Thank heavens for cell phones, because I use it almost everyday to talk to her.  I rely on her wisdom and advice.  It is a privilege to be called her son. 

Mother's Day changed when I got married, but it changed significantly with the birth of our first daughter Katie Jane.

Sara is pretty much the most "girly-girl" ... well... ever.  When we were married I thought I was the strong one, I was the protector (grrrrrr).  Then silently Sara opened my eyes. 

I learned on October 20, 1996 that a person could be a total girly-girl and at the exact same time be the strongest,  most impressive person... well... ever.  When I am sick or hurt, the world needs to stop and cater to my needs - because I'm really hurt and need to be taken care of.  Because we didn't have maternity insurance at that time, Sara was in the hospital less than 24 hours when Katie was born.  She would not take Tylenol because it would have added to our bill.  She wouldn't even ask for another ice-pack, thinking that too would be another cost.  I still cringe and it hurts my heart when I think about that. 

I honor my wife because of that day, and every day since.

Weston says it best, "Moms are great."

4 comments:

Heather said...

Brian you are so sweet.

Melissa said...

Very sweet.

Murline said...

Mother's Day is one of those great holidays that has lots of reasons to celebrate. I, too, have watched Sara and know she is an exemplary mother and a woman of strength and wisdom. I have said before that I couldn't love her more if I had given birth to her. For me, Mother's Day is a lot like Thanksgiving, because it reminds me of all the fantastic blessings that have come into my life through motherhood. The Lord has given me lots of blessings, but when He allowed me to be a mother, He really outdid Himself!

Joanna said...

That is so sweet Brian! & what Murlene said is sweet too! Makes me cry....But it is VERY true - Sara & Murlene are 2 wonderful women!!!!! 2 of my heroes!