Thursday, February 21, 2008

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

I was shopping at Dazzle today (ran in for a minute to get a birthday present)...FUN store! Anyhow, I was just wandering around the store for a minute before making my final purchase when this lady stops me and says those all too familiar words,"Excuse me this might sound strange but..."

Now I am pausing here in the story to emphasize that I have heard words like these countless times over the years and I still continue to believe that something genuine is going to follow...I fall for it every time! The end of the phrase was "...you have the most interesting eye shape!"

I respond, "Thank you".

Once again she reiterates what a unique and interesting eye shape I have then continues on about working for a cosmetic company and would I like to be a face model?

Okay, finally the pieces are coming together for me. I graciously decline, but then I start to wonder how bad I must look if the best she could come up with was eye shape...and it wasn't even a pretty or exotic eye shape...it was interesting. She must have been desperately digging deep for that one. Is it even a compliment? I'm not sure that it is.

Next time, when a stranger stops me with a contrived compliment, instead of saying thank you, I may just pull out my empty wallet and say, "Thanks, but no thanks!"

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Even on your "worst" day you are a babe - so pay no mind to what that lady said. You have beautiful eyes!!!!

David said...

Where will you get an empty wallet? That was good, I laughed out loud. I thought after the pause that she was going to say, "Are you a Hixon? I know Steve."