Monday, February 25, 2008

Birthday Wishes


I blew out 35 candles on my birthday cake last night. Technically, it was not a cake though...it was a tower of chocolate mini-cakes, dusted with powdered sugar and garnished with red strawberries, served cold, just the way I like my cake. I pretended to make a wish, but truth is, I felt like I could not ask for anything more.

Of course, I would love a pedicure, new chandeliers and french doors...but my best wishes have already come true. For instance, my husband Brian is perfect for me. I love that he was "this close" to spending $100 (after overnight shipping) on a pair of duck covered footie pajamas to surprise me for my birthday...just to give me something comfy that I wouldn't buy for myself. I also love that I can tease him about the fact that he almost bought footie pajamas for me.

Next wish come true: my children. They woke up early, so they could bring me breakfast in bed. I heard clanking, bustling, and a bit of crying (Keaton fell off the chair) for about an hour. Next came the soft sound of Kate gently playing "Happy Birthday to You" on the piano. Finally, I heard a sweet chorus of the same song, sung by my three eldest, clutching a tray filled with scrambled eggs, oatmeal, corn muffins and grapes. When Weston finally roused from his cuddly slumber (in my bed, of course) he rubbed my arm and in a gravelly, morning voice sang me his version of the birthday song one more time. I experienced a bit of heaven in that corner of my bedroom where the five of us were gathered.

That's enough--I don't need anymore--I've got all my wishes...but more came. My sweet cousin sent me a gift from her heart. Good friends brought me gifts and flowers and another cake(yummy breakfast-thanks Tina!)...and a miniature bottle of real maple syrup! I received thoughtful phone calls and warm hugs. Stephen and Rachel made me Tahitian Chicken for my birthday dinner as well as the stack of cakes--I couldn't wish for anything more...so I closed my eyes before the blazing candles and just smiled.

6 comments:

Joanna said...

That is the sweetest thing I have ever read! You are very blessed & so are all of us who know you! Happy birthday!

Brian said...

Sara - you are the greatest EVER!

btw I thought the footie jammies where cool.

:)

Rachel said...

That really is a sweet write-up, and it's not just cuz my names in it. I'm glad you had a great birthday, if anyone deserves it, it's you!

Heather said...

You are not that old. Happy Birthday Sara.

PS. thanks for the invite you are so fun.

Val said...

Sara,
You have a knack for writing just the way you talk. I love reading your thoughts and love how special and loved you felt on your birthday. It sounds like it was amazing!

Happy Birthday Sweet Friend -

Val

Unknown said...

that almost made me cry, thanks!