Monday, October 6, 2008

Sisters, There Were Never Such Devoted Sisters

Kate left for science camp early this morning.  Shelby and I watched her walk out to Dad's car.  She carried a full pink duffel bag--stuffed with, among other things, new fuzzy pink striped socks and a new plaid coat.  We called out our last "good-bye"  and "have fun", then climbed back upstairs to try to get a little more sleep before we really started our day.

About an hour later, I heard Shelby come into my room.  I motioned for her to come in bed with me because neither of us had been able to fall back asleep. 

As Shelby curled up beside me, she confided in a broken voice, "I miss her already!"  Quiet sobs followed her confession.

"It's alright--she'll be back before you know it" I soothed, but my heart was aching for this sweet sister who was left behind.  I love how much they love each other.

kateshelb3.1

6 comments:

JenJen said...

Hey Sara, Its Jen Jarvis I absolutely love your blog... the new header is so dang cute. I have to tell you I feel the same way about my sister who is living in Utah. We have always been very close. She visits often but each time she leaves, my heart aches a little bit!! SO cute, sisterly love is heaven sent.

Heather said...

You missed out on going to science camp with her? Darn, it is fun going as the chaperone. Love that Shelby is so sensitive to her sister.

Lara said...

oh, I love that! I really hope gracie gets a sister someday. Love the new header, copacobana, huh?

Valerie Koop said...

What a sweet story.

Joanna said...

that is very sweet! I felt that way about my sisters too - while I was growing up.

Murline said...

Priceless. Watching the love between my own sons is among my most cherished blessings.