Sunday, April 6, 2008

Aebleskivers

IMG_3879

My Aunt Jean gave me the cast iron pan when we got married. My mom gave me a large bag of aebleskiver mix. Brian and I enjoyed making these for breakfast before General Conference or sometimes on slow weekend mornings. Eventually, the mix ran out and I always intended to replace it, but never did. We stopped making them on Conference mornings. Months turned to years and sadly, my kids had no memory of aebleskivers. Finally, six months ago, I pulled out the pan again and an old recipe card with my Mom's handwritten instructions to make aebleskivers from scratch:

Stir together in order-

  • 3 egg yolks
  • 2 heaping TB sugar
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 2 C.buttermilk
  • 1 t. soda in 1/2 C. hot water
  • 2 C. flour
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • Fold in 3 egg whites, beaten 'til fluffy

I loved reading her hand and remembering the many times as a child I watched her make the golden, round delicacies for our family as a special breakfast. I used to tear them in half and pile on the powdered sugar.

IMG_3883

Now, we served them with a fresh raspberry sauce as well as powdered sugar and butter. Now, I make them from scratch the way my mother used to and the way her mother did before. Now, my children pile on the powdered sugar and devour them the way I used to when I was a girl. Now, I am passing on heritage and tradition. Now, I am satisfied.

IMG_3886

8 comments:

New Lewis Happenings said...

It's fun to have traditions like that!! I had never heard of aebleskivers until now, but they sure look yummy!!

Rachel said...

We did these too. From scratch! I almost blogged about it. Your's look really scrumptious!

David said...

We did waffles for a while until Kara noticed a correlation between daddy's waffles and sick tummies. Today we had French toast and it was a hit.

Joanna said...

yummy! My mouth is watering for some aebleskivers!

Lara said...

We totally make those too, except my roomie in college was the one who introduced me to them. they make great cream puffs too!

Heather said...

I have never heard of these, but they look delicious!

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

Hey, thanks for the link to my blog (MormonHusbands.blogspot.com)! I am glad that you enjoy it. I am able to track the referring URL's to my site and thought I'd check yours out as well.

How long did it take for your family to snap that professional, perfect beach photo? Two hours? Two months? If we tried the family beach portrait, my son would be in the ocean and my daughter burying herself in the sand before the camera could get set up.

-NMH

Sara said...

Dear NMH,

Not that I expect you to check back for an answer, but I'll leave one anyway...

I knew we would have about 17 minutes before my youngest would be head-to-toe in sand, so we've moved quickly and I have an awesome photograher, my younger brother, Dan. He is speedy, patient, and good!