Thursday, April 24, 2008

Good Eats??

When people say, "I can't cook" they are really lying - unless of course they really meant to say, "I can't read."  However, I am the first one to admit that there is a massive chasm between cooking and cooking well.

Sara cooks well.  I read.

With that said, there are a few things that I think I am pretty good at.

1. Grits

I know that grits by themselves are not a culinary challenge by any means.  What I bring to the table in the stuff I throw in there.  Mel... Here's how I do it.  Start by a good helping of grits in a pot.  (I like the Quick Grits, not the instant kind.)  Scramble some eggs - mix in with the grits.  Brown some sausage, crumble it up - mix in with the grits.  Mix in some hunks of cheddar cheese until melted.  Add a good bit of butter (by "good" I don't mean appropriate, but rather a large amount), and generously stir in some freshly ground black pepper.  Serve on a plate.  

Every time I make this, Sara says it looks like "throw up."  She is right, but man... it is heaven.

2. Eggs

Eggs are one of my favorite things to eat, and I must say that I really, really like the way I make eggs.  Scrambled or fried (with the yolks broken of course).  I really like a good fried egg cooked on the griddle right after you take the bacon or sausage off.

3. Kraft Macaroni & Cheese

I know there is really not a whole lot that can go wrong with this.  But people totally mess it up. I think I like the way I do it because of the "goodly" amount of butter that is used in the process.

4. Beans on Toast

This, along with my grits are my favorites.  This one I learned on my mission.  It started really as just toast with canned baked beans over the top.  Here is how I do them now - starting from the plate and moving up.  Two pieces of toast (buttered of course), scrambled eggs, baked beans with a good amount of cumin to spice it up a bit, and topped off with grated cheddar. Just add cumin

I never said these things are works of art, but I like them.

By the way, shortly after we were married, I offered to cook dinner - beans on toast.  I've been off the cooking rotation ever since.

2 comments:

Laurel said...

Your first sentence made me laugh. And it's exactly right! Too funny.

Jenn said...

Beans on toast?? Oh my! It's a good thing you're good with computers and public speaking.