Monday, April 21, 2008

"Yes, dear Mother, I will do anything you ask..."

These are not words that ever escape my children's lips.

Case in point:

I ask Weston if he would please throw away the empty box of gobstoppers (that he polished off just a few minutes prior) instead of just leaving garbage on the ottoman.

He quickly replies, "But, Mom, I am collecting garbage. It's my collection."

I ask, "Okay, if it is your collection, you need to keep it somewhere, so, go put it wherever you are going to keep it."

His answer, "I am keeping my collection on the ottoman."

IMG_0144

His ploy did not work, but he did win clever points.

4 comments:

David said...

So funny. We have the sme problem here. Not garbage collections but every time we ask the kids to do ANYTHING, they think it is an invitation to the debate team. They'll exert ten times the energy debating than would have been necessary to just do it. "Erika, can you put your snadals away?" She says, "They're not mine, they're Amanda's." We counter with, "True, but you wore them today. Put them away." She might say something like, "78 days ago you made me put a my sweater away that Natalie wore. Why do I always have to do everythig?" It goes on and on. We discuss fairness, responsibity, child-rearing, the meaning of life...c'mon, just put the shoes away. Just once.

Melissa said...

That is seriously funny.

Laurel said...

"I am keeping it on the ottoman." Hah! Does he know my son?

Joanna said...

This sounds like the exact conversation I have with my boys. I thought mine were the only ones with "collections". LOL!