Sunday, April 6, 2008

Rechargeable?

April and October - the heart of spring and fall.  The seasons are changing.  I like that.

These are also the months that the church holds General Conference. ldsconfcenter-exterior

I loved Conference as a kid because we didn't have to get dressed up and go to church.  It was like a "vacation."  As I got a little older I really liked just rolling out of bed, plopping down on the couch and "watching" church.

I love Conference now because like April changes winter to summer, so does Conference change my heart.  I've always had this feeling of a change of heart.  The people of Lamoni describe how I benefit from Conference very well when they told Ammon that, "their hearts had been changed; that they had no more desire to do evil" (Alma 19:33).

When I hear our Prophet, apostles, and other authorities of our church speak, it is a total spiritual recharge for me.  As a session ends I really feel no desire to do evil, to be the very best I can be.  I love that feeling.

I wish it could last for six months - unfortunately it is more like six days.  I guess the Lord expects me to learn to recharge my own batteries.  I'm glad we have a way to do that.