Friday, April 18, 2008

Kickball and stories

The other day when I came home from work Shelby said, "Hey, let's play kickball."

I was tired, and the couch looked pretty inviting - so I shrugged my shoulders and said, "Sounds good to me."

A quick round up of the kball1troops and out to the backyard we went for a 3-on-3 game.  Shelby, Katie, and Keaton made up team #1 - the "Nachos."  Sara, Weston, and I were team #2 - the "Dead Lemons" (or something like that...).

You know, it used to be that I would look for the fun thing to do, or would seek for the thrill.  I looked for only the things that would be worth my time.  I don't know if age, wisdom, or arthritis have anything to do with it, but I absolutely had a great time playing kickball - some highlights:

  • Shelby's amazing smile as she ran the bases.
  • Katie stealth-fully putting grass in Sara's hair.
  • Keaton flying around that bases, then telling his mother that getting "close enough" to the bases "counts."
  • Weston wanting to pitch, then rolling the ball to first base and giggling.
  • Sara making the perfect relay throw to me from the outfield to tag Keaton out at home (followed by a high-five on the pitcher's mound). kball

This small event held in our backyard, was most definitely fun, truly thrilling, and absolutely worth my time.

When the game was over, Sara and the boys plopped down on the couch for one of my most favorite things in the world to see...

 stories

1 comment:

Joanna said...

That is so fun! Makes me sad that we don't have more kids - that is what big families are for - to have fun!