Friday, April 11, 2008

Why offices have whiteboards

My kids have always really liked coming to my work.  We usually have a "Bring-your-kids-to-work-day" once a year.  I also try to bring them with me (one at a time) during the summer for a day.

Once in a while I have to run into the office at night - I'll always try to take whoever wants to go with me. 

It's not that my work is interesting or cool (at all).  They love it for the things that are in an office and not at home.  Some examples:

  1. Free pop
  2. Snack cabinet
  3. Hot chocolate machine
  4. Flavored cream for coco
  5. Crystal Light single packets
  6. Copy machines
  7. Stacks of colored paper
  8. Mail room
  9. Card keys
  10. Foosball table
  11. etc., etc.

It is fun for me to see them enjoy these things.  It makes the days at work more fun - when I see the Crystal Light packets I smile img003 and think of my girls.  When I see the Foosball table I smile and think of my boys.

Whenever my kids come to work with me they always take the time to draw on my whiteboard.  I know that the whiteboard was put here for my use to track opportunities, issues, and items.  But I just can't erase what they write/draw on it.  Whatever they do stays there until the next time they come in with me.

3 comments:

Larry said...

This was filled with memories for me. I did the same things with most of our kids (I don't remember taking Dan or Jeff to work with me). I didn't have a whiteboard, but my ruled accounting pads always had notes on them. Cindy, Shauna, David and Mike actually worked in my office (as in employed with paychecks) during a couple of summers.

David said...

Ah, good times. (Office visits are what Natalie misses the most about my medical leave.) My co-workers could always tell when I had helpers on a Saturday as their staplers were empty, their phones showed 30 salls to me, and there were footprints on the desk.

Murline said...

Brian, you are such a great Dad, but how can you not be with such precious children!