Monday, March 31, 2008

Moon over my Hammy

Growing up, one of our family rules was--No singing at the dinner table.   This is understandable since Mom and Dad have 10 children and imagine if more than oh, say, 3 of us had a different song to sing at the same time...goodbye peace and refuge at supper time.  Hence the creation of the singing rule.  (Note: the Happy Birthday song, on a birthday, while the lighted cake was presented to the birthday-ee was always an exception.)  Another rule I remember, but had no trouble following --Shirts were worn to the table.  My parents raised 6 boys (as well as 4 girls) and the boys sometimes needed to be reminded that dinner was not a bare chested event. 

Fast forward a decade or two and we have a few dinner time rules in my little family that have come from necessity in correcting behaviors.  The first rule emerged when Kate was about three years old--We do not shove peas in our belly buttons.  No explanation necessary, pretty clear what was going on.

Fingerfuls of pasta or other non-finger foods brought aboutOct03 039 an obvious but necessary rule--Utensils are required, especially if you are 11 years old. 

The next rule sheds light on the diversity that young boys bring to a family at the dinner table--No mooning your sister at the table, or anywhere! Brian still smiles when he thinks of the event that preceded the creation of this rule.  As I recall, he sat across the table from me, trying to hide his snickering by burying his face in his hands.  Suffice it to say, not much imagination needed to picture what was going on...I am thankful, however, we caught this one before the three year old "mooner" was much older. 

In spite of squished peas, greasy fingers and full "moons", I can't help but love "em...or maybe it is because of peas, grease, and moons I can't help but love 'em.  I wouldn't trade them for the moon (I had to slip that corny pun in somewhere, right!)

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Love it! Can totally relate too! I think most of my life is stiffling laughs...

Rachel said...

This is one of my favorite stories!