Monday, March 3, 2008

The way all nights should be...

About five years ago we bought Katie her first bike.  She was so excited, she love everything about it from the bell to the training wheels.  She donned her helmet and off she went.  After that first day she rode just occasionally.  I don't blame her, I can't imagine that riding a bike with training wheels would be all that exciting. 

After a while I asked if she wanted me to take the training wheels off.  Surprisingly she said yes.  There I was running alongside the bike to steady her.  She was doing great so I let go.  She rode for about 10 feet before she realized I wasn't there - then she crashed.

I knew that crashing was all part and parcel of learning to ride, I guess I didn't prep her very well on that.  Just like that she hated everything about that bike from the stupid bell to the dumb training wheels that weren't even there.  The dislike for the bike lasted for a few years.

Shelby soon got a bike, unfortunately the results were strikingly similar to Katie's.

Keaton got a bike.  He likes it ok, but I have never taken the training wheels off.  I guess I'm a little gun-shy.

Tonight when I came home Shelby had her bike and was trying to ride it on the grass in the back yard.  She was doing really pretty well.  Grass is pretty easy to fall on.  Keaton then wanted his bike.  I went to the garage, grabbed his bike and a wrench.  I thought we might as well give it a shot without the training wheels.

Both Shelby and Keaton were making it almost the entire width of the back lawn without much help from me.  Right before dinner, Katie wanders outside to see what all the ruckus is.  She watches for a minute then says, "I want to try."  Ok.  Sweet.  Her choice - and I know she knows that falling will be involved.

After dinner we went out to the front to try on the cement.  I was telling the girls that to start out on your own that first pedal has to be hard.  So here I am running along side Shelby, with just my hand on her back, when I look up I see Katie Jane riding off down the road.  She did it.  Before we went in Shelby also did it.  Keaton will have it down in a day or two.

It is an interesting feeling when you are running next to your kid steadying them with every step, then only steadying them every once in a while, then just running along side them, then slowing down, then finally stopping and watching them ride away from you on their own. 

Man am I proud of them.  It did this dad's heart good.  But I must say it gave me a pang of sadness as I watched that Katie ride away, knowing that there would be more times in our lives that I would have to quit running beside her, eventually stop and watch her ride away. 

6 comments:

Larry said...

Great, great story ... tugs at heartstrings. The deeper meaning was not lost on this grandpa.

Heather said...

There is nothing like teaching your kid to ride a bike and see the excitement on thier faces. Very fun. Next time get your kids a scooter. It teaches them balance and when they are ready to ride a bike they pick it right up. FYI ;)

Rachel said...

Loved the read Bri! How did Sar do? Did you take the training wheels off for her?

Joanna said...

This seriously brought tears - LOVED the story Bri! I have to confess, I thought it was Sara writing the story at first & I was kind of laughing at it, cuz I just couldn't for the life of me picture Sara helping with teaching the kids to ride bikes since she isn't one for riding bikes...I liked Rachel's comment - :) The first pic you posted of the girls - that is how I remember them! I don't think I have seen them since they were that age - too sad! Thanks for the sweet story!

Unknown said...

I thought the same as Joanna! I wondered, How is Sara giving them advice about riding a bike? What is she doing getting a wrench from the garage?

Murline said...

I remember when Katie was only about two, and I made a little wedding dress for her, because somebody got married, and she got all excited about wanting a wedding dress. What I remember most about that was that when she put it on, Brian cried, and I knew that he knew something about the feelings of that day to come.