Saturday, March 8, 2008

When Life Gives You Lemons...

Keaton stayed home sick from school on Monday and Tuesday. Well, he was sick on Monday, but needed to be on antibiotic for 24 hours before he could go back to school, so he sort of had a day off on Tuesday.

I had laundry and lots of catching up to do around the house, so I kept busy as a laundress and the boys settled in with Mario on the Wii and sometimes switched over to Nick Jr. on the computer. Soon enough, the fighting started over who had a longer turn. The moment I heard fighting, I gave them a warning that if they couldn't work it out, they would both be kicked off. Sure enough, I kept hearing things like, "BUT he's taking MY turn!" So that was it...they were done...turn it off! Keaton ran upstairs crying. I knew for certain that it was time for imaginative play. As soon as he came downstairs, somewhat recovered from his small meltdown, I explained to him that he was welcome to play with any game or toy, so long as it could not be plugged in. Better yet, he was welcome to go outside and play in the backyard. He sulked a bit, but as soon as Weston handed him a scribbler popsicle and said, "let's go outside, buddy" , Keaton was all smiles.

I was about halfway through sparkling up my kitchen, when Keaton poked his head in through the glass door, with a giant lemon in his hands. "Mom, is it okay if we pick lemons?"

"Sure." I responded. I heard a giggle.

"Mom, will you make us some lemonade with the lemons?"

"Sure." I said, thinking to myself that I really did not want to make lemonade, but I know it is one of those things that I dread the thought of doing, but once I am actually smack in the middle of squeezing lemons, it is pretty fun.

Soon enough, the boys brought me six large, ripe and juicy lemons. We took turns squishing the lemons right over the pitcher. We added sugar and ice water, then stirred it all up until it was good and cold. The three of us drank our lemonade from tiny plastic cups and chatted about how good our lemonade was.

After we drank until we were full, Weston declared,"When I grow up I am going to be a police officer, a firefighter, and a lemonade maker." Making lemonade, was after all, the perfect way to "unplug."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a lemon tree???? We have pine trees ... and more pine trees. Lemonade sure sounds nice!

Val

Larry said...

If I unplug myself, can I have some lemonade? I'll bet your lemonade is as good as my limeade!

Rachel said...

It was such a lovely day to pick lemons. What a fun afternoon!

Joanna said...

too cute! I can relate to the fighting....I guess I'll have to have Jason plant some lemon trees in our back yard....:)